New Years Shitalution
It’s that time of year again when we reflect on the past year and relish the opportunity to hit the reset button so we can wake up on the 1st of January with a whole new lease on life, ready to tackle life’s many challenges and resolve our personal shortfalls (again).
It’s a chance to say Salada Biscuit (Australian for ‘see you later’) and thanks for all the fish, or chicken, or aardvark, or whatever other innocent animal we can blame for instigating a global pandemic.
We are all guilty of setting ourselves entirely achievable goals for the new year only to experience a disappointing fail before we’ve even finished gorging ourselves on the Christmas lunch scraps. Our big dreams and aspirations shat and pissed on as a result of hefty self-sabotage. A big ol’ fuck you to yourself for even thinking you could improve yourself. Life still exists on the other side of the holiday break remember, ya numpty.
Enter the dadBod to dadRig Initiative.
What is this rig bullshit, I hear you ask?
Well, I’m glad you asked. Basically, since becoming a father I have gained weight at an alarming rate and amount a number of factors I believe this is because the moment we become a dad, we loose the element of selfishness that actually works to preserve our health. With no sign of self-confidence on the horizon (I can just hear my wife’s sigh as I write this since I have made this claim on numerous other occasions) I’m ready for a change and I know you are too, dads.
Obviously, new year resolutions are bullshit and they don’t work. New Years Shitalutions. The dadBod to dadRig Initiative is my attempt to inspire meaningful and sustainable change and provide virtual support to other dads who are keen to drop some kilos and represent a mean, lean DadRig. Ultimately, this is about improving our mental and physical health which are intrinsically connected elements of our being and should be more of a focus for dads in general. If our mental and physical wellbeing is not maintained, the detrimental impacts propagate through every aspect of our lives and our kids are clever enough to notice.
None of this New Years Shitalution rubbish. Get after it!
How will it work?
The DadBod to DadRig Initiative is completely free and is aimed squarely at providing dads with support, motivation, encouragement and education to assist with crushing individual health goals. The initiative will consist of:
- Series of blog posts, information and motivation to keep us focused on achieving goals distributed on a regular basis. Some of the topics that will be covered as part of the series include:
- Alcohol and its effects on weight-loss
- Benefits of exercise for mental wellbeing
- Healthy recipes and workout plans
- Practical tips for getting your workouts in – balancing family and work
- Sharing apps, books and resources which may assist with achieving health goals
- Virtual accountability and support provided by yours truly and other dads working towards their health goals. Share your goals, successes and failures with the DadRig team so we can all learn and improve. Instagram, MyFitness Pal and this blog will be the mediums for our virtual community.
- I will share my personal progress as I work to lose a total of 16kg, build self-confidence and shift my focus from this weight-loss goal to performance goals via a fortnightly blog post (to coincide with my metric measurements)
The best part about getting involved is the zero cost element. You can easily get involved by connecting via one or all of the avenues below:
- Connect via Instagram: @quintessentialdadau
- Connect via MyFitness Pal: quintessentildad
- Subscribe to this blog by submitting your email via the contact page to receive the content direct to your inbox
- Get in touch with me directly so we can share your story and inspire ourselves other dads to achieve our health goals
Alright, legends. Now that we are virtually connected it’s time to make this happen. I’ll be sharing an initial weigh-in, photos and a bit of a spiel about my goals and why I have set them for myself this Monday 4th January, then fortnightly after that. Blog posts will be published on a weekly basis so be sure to sign up so you don’t miss any.
Please do get in touch and share your story so we can support each other in transforming our dadBods to dadRigs both physically, and mentally.
For other great dad-related content, head over to Feedspot and checkout the Top 100 Father Blog list: https://blog.feedspot.com/father_blogs/